Friday, October 10, 2014

We All Are a Little Broken



We all know life’s a beach. We can ride the wave or wipe out. Build a sand castle or fall into a whole in the sand. But you’ve got to get back up, shake the sand off and press on. ~ Jennifer Bridge (cancer survivor)

“Cancer is not a battle that we win or lose. It is not our fault or a sign of weakness. We are not responsible for our cancer outcomes. The crapshoot of cancer and recurrence can NOT be controlled. Celebrate yourself for each time you, despite all the trauma of cancer, treatment, and the mindfuck of “survivorship”, choose to love, live, lust, laugh … We are not a success story based on our cancer progression or not. We succeed when we are courageous enough to keep walking forward even with missing parts, severe pain, addled brains, and broken hearts.” ~ Dr. Erica D. Bernstein

I will never forget what this journey has been like. I remember my initial fear and anxious thoughts when Dr. Frazier called and told me that my tumor was malignant. I didn’t know how to process the words. I couldn’t believe it.

Through the doctors appointments, mastectomy, pain killers, tears, depression, insomnia, and more, I discovered strength that I didn't even know I had. I keep moving forward.

Cancer has changed my life. I am grateful for this second chance.

As I continue to move forward during this difficult journey I keep telling myself that each day is a gift. I am thankful for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment