Monday, October 20, 2014

Bio of Dr. Frazier



I met Dr. Frazier for the first time on
September 4th. I also met Dr. Jill Lloyd on that day - a visiting doctor from the Mayo Clinic. My films (mammograms and ultrasounds) were staring at me while I waited anxiously for the doctors to come into my exam room. I had my cell phone in my hand and when they both walked in, after they shook my hand and introduced themselves, I asked, 'Dr. Frazier, would it be okay if I took pictures of my films?' He replied, 'sure Irene, and I'll go over them with you.' He didn't dismiss me. After my physical examination - both doctors located and felt my tumor - we sat in his office for well over 15 minutes. He sat next to me instead of in his chair. I liked him immediately. Nationally, the average time a patient spends with a doctor is 7 minutes. Dr. Frazier spent approximately 25 minutes with me between my actual examination and the time he took to discuss my upcoming biopsy scheduled for that Friday. He is a very personable and compassionate doctor who genuinely cares about his patients.

After my biopsy, Dr. Frazier called me on September 8th to advise my tumor was in fact malignant - Stage 1A.

The following morning, September 9th, Nikki and I sat with Dr. Frazier for approximately 15 minutes as he explained my cancer and the different options available. I'm so grateful Nikki took notes for me. I had a few questions that I had written down. He answered them - again he didn't dismiss me. He even gave me his home phone number and told me to call with any questions or concerns.

Below is a brief biography of, not only a great doctor but, a caring and attentive human being who has helped me fight my breast cancer with dignity. I can't describe in words how grateful I am to be under his care.

In a day and age where many doctors are 'in it for the money' Dr. Frazier 'is in it' because he truly cares about his patients. He also cares about patients' families and goes out of his way to reassure them that their loved ones will be okay.

~~~~~~~~

Education: University of Pennsylvania (1968)

Awards & Distinctions:

One of America's Leading Experts on:
•Breast Cancer (Breast Neoplasm)
•Living Through Cancer Foundation
•In the Looking Glass Award October 2008
•Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® (2010 - 2014)
•Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® for Cancer (2005 - 2007, 2009 - 2012, 2014)
•American Society of Clinical Oncology

Publications & Research:

A couple of the 31 publications Dr. Frazier has written regarding breast cancer research:

Title: Is There a Role for MRI in the Preoperative Assessment of Patients with DCIS?Date: December 2010
Journal: Annals of Surgical Oncology
Excerpt: "Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is used to identify residual and additional disease in patients with invasive carcinoma. The use of MRI in assessing extent of disease for ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) is less well defined. This study assessed the value of MRI in the preoperative evaluation of DCIS."

---

Title: Sentinel-lymph-node Resection Compared with Conventional Axillary-lymph-node Dissection in Clinically Node-negative Patients with Breast Cancer: Overall Survival Findings from the Nsabp B-32 Randomised Phase 3 Trial.
Date: October 2010
Journal: The Lancet Oncology
Excerpt: "Sentinel-lymph-node (SLN) surgery was designed to minimise the side-effects of lymph-node surgery but still offer outcomes equivalent to axillary-lymph-node dissection (ALND). The aims of National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP) trial B-32 were to establish whether SLN resection in patients with breast cancer achieves the same survival and regional control as ALND, but with fewer side-effects."

Thank you doc!


No comments:

Post a Comment