Friday, October 3, 2014

Janice - same cancer, same fears

Janice called me up today. It was great talking to her. We have the same type of breast cancer (estrogen fed), the same hopes and fears.

Janice had her drains removed on Monday as well. On Wednesday, she noticed leaking. She went and saw Dr. Frazier today. It's normal to have some leaking but they will monitor her closely. She is at home now applying hot compresses.

Janice is also waiting for her tumor's profile from Oncotype. When she had a lumpectomy 10 years ago she had radiation and then was prescribed Tomaxifen. The Tomaxifen wreaked havoc on her digestive tract and made her nauseous. After a year, they switched her to Arimidex. She tolerated Arimidix well - the side effects were not that bad.

Sarah, my nurse navigator, told me I will probably have to take Arimidex.

We both are hoping that we won't have to have any chemotherapy. We dread the side effects: nausea, vomiting, head aches, loss of hair, loss of appetite, etc. I told Janice, if we do, we will cross that bridge as well. We have already been through enough.

We will get together next week one day for breakfast and then a walk. I look forward to seeing Janice. She is my 'battle buddy' in our 'war' against cancer.

I can relate to how she feels and she can relate to my hopes and fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment