Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Post-Mastectomy Tips

When you have had major surgery, you are told to ‘take it easy’ for 4-6 weeks. Right. I didn’t anticipate the extent of the affected area from a mastectomy. Breast tissue runs from just offset the sternum horizontally across under the armpit and from the collarbone vertically down to the bottom of the breast/chest area. This is a very large area and I was lucky only to have only my right side removed. It was during my struggles to go to the bathroom, get out of bed, pin my drains on my clothing, having to have seroma drained and more that I realized this was not going to be easy.

I have a few post-mastectomy tips to help future women who will, unfortunately, join 'the club'.

Don't be alarmed at the color of your skin and urine. It will be blue, then green, then yellow. This results from the radioactive dye they shoot into your breast a couple hours before your surgery. The dye helps the surgeon locate your sentinel lymph nodes.

When they wheel you into the OR the table is in the shape of a cross (don't worry, you're not being crucified)! You're arms are at a 90 degree angle. The surgeon reassures you and before you know it, you're out.

The first week, I took it very slow. Even when I got home from the hospital, I was very cautious. First, because I was in a lot of pain, and second, I was afraid of a 'drain leak.' I tried to nap whenever I could which is easier said than done when you have two drains hanging out of your chest. Drains hurt! There is no way around this. They are sewn into your body to stay in place. Their job is to keep body fluid flowing out of the area operated on to avoid swelling. A small pillow like the one Sarah gave me placed in between your side and armpit helps reduce friction and pain. Drains can be painful when you empty them. Once you empty them the suction is better and pressure increases. Take your pain meds a couple of hours prior to your appointment to get your drains removed. I held onto a friendly hand (Kathy - my doctor's nurse) while the stitches were snipped, followed by firm yanks to pull the tubes out. The first one wasn't too bad, the second tube hurt big time.

I started with some gentle exercises after my drains were removed - a physical therapist visited me in the hospital and went over the various exercises. It's really important to do your exercises a few times a day to avoid any trouble moving your shoulder - your range of motion (ROM) becomes very compromised. The sooner you are up and about, the faster you will heal. Take walks. Walk to the end of the block or around your house. Listen to your body and stop if you are tired or dizzy.

Pain Medication. Don’t be afraid to take this regularly. When you are in pain (past a 4 of 10) it is too late. It seems counterintuitive to take pain meds when you are not in a lot of pain, but the job of medicine is to avoid pain (and relieve pain as well). Managing pain early on avoids feeling miserable waiting for pain meds to kick in.

Doctor visits/car trips. Plan your pain meds accordingly before you go see the doctor.  You’ll be moving around in ways you haven’t been at home, so, again, plan ahead to avoid a painful trip. Bring a pillow with you to put between you and the seat belt.

Sleeping. Take your full dose of pain meds one hour prior to bed. Put a pillow under your affected side. I found that elevating my right arm helped to take off the pressure.

Massage your scar tissue, adhesions and surrounding muscles. I know this from the numerous surgeries to my arm - massaging your scar will help break it down. Scar tissue can cause problems so it is very important to try to break the tissue down. Apply Eucerin, Lubriderm or any other non-fragrant cream to the whole area especially on and around the stitches. Hrdrocortisone cream applied to the area helps alleviate any itching and rawness around the scar.

Fatigue. This is normal, but very frustrating.  Ease into your 'normal' routine. Your body is recovering from a major ordeal and healing takes a lot of your energy. Whatever you feel like doing, just don’t over do it.

Reach Out. You are undergoing something that is not natural. Losing a breast or breasts is a major deal both physically and emotionally. Cry when you need to and laugh when you can. Do not crawl up into a ball and feel sorry for yourself (easier said than done). There are other women that have gone through what you are feeling.  The American Cancer Society has the 'Reach to Recovery' program that can match you up with a volunteer who has experienced much of what you are going through. I keep in touch with Janice who had the same surgery and talking to her is therapeutic. I also talk to a lot of friends and cousins. Why suffer in silence!


No comments:

Post a Comment