Thursday, October 2, 2014

Scars

They say pain is meant to be felt.

We are asked, "on a scale from 1 to 10 how would you rate your pain?"

Physically? Mentally?

The amputation of our breasts is difficult to deal with. Processing it, accepting it and pushing through takes time.

My body has been through so much since my mastectomy. I have a hard time sleeping. I can't sleep on my right side and wonder if I will ever be able to sleep on that side. My body is still recovering physically.

When will my emotional recovery begin? Sarah told me it has already begun. I am navigating my 'new normal' so I am recovering.

I walk around wearing the same t-shirts I wore before my surgery. I can't forget my scars - I feel them through my shirts. When my shirts rub up against the 'battle area' I can feel it.

I am trying to navigate my way down the 'cancer road' ... I am figuring out which turn to take down this road. Adjusting to my 'new normal' will take time.



Some more new words to add to my cancer glossary:

NED= No Evidence of Disease
Protocol = A detailed plan for treatment

No comments:

Post a Comment