Saturday, September 20, 2014

What a Wonderful World

I woke up at 8:30 this morning and sat outside. It's a beautiful day. I'll let my dad and my sister bring in my cacti. I love all flowers but give me a cactus and I'll give you a hug. I even have an 'Athanato' from Kefalonia that I take good care of. The Morning Glories that my sister planted are beautiful. Once in a while I catch hummingbirds near them. By the time I get my camera on my phone ready to take a shot, they're gone.



Nikki and I took cuttings from a Jade plant outside our IT Dept. at work. I waited until the ends calcified, planted them, and they are doing great.

My dad, sister and I love to garden. It's late in the season and my dad has a few tomatoes here and there in his vegetable garden.

I felt so bad that his 5 fig trees were wiped out after this past winter. It was too cold. If you know Kefalonites, you know fig trees are very important to them. He pruned them and all 5 trees are coming back to life but we will not enjoy any figs for at least a few years.

Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, string beans, basil, parsley (every kind of herb imaginable). I planted some Lemon Balm and I wash a few leaves and put it in iced tea. Lemon Balm calms you naturally. Lavender, my favorite scent, also has a calming affect.



My family and I are not the only ones to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Birds, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, etc.

There are two chipmunks that I feed sunflower seeds and peanuts. They live under our cement patio under the first step. I have taken pictures of both ... Like clockwork, as soon as I go outside in the back yard, they come out.



Ying (the name I have given to one of the little buggers) sat on one of my plants, dug a hole in my other plant, dropped a peanut and then proceeded to cover it up. He is preparing for the winter months.

Yes dad, I confess, it's me. I'm the culprit ... I'm guilty of feeding the birds and chipmunks!

(While my dad hangs shiny strips of plastic in his vegetable garden to keep the animals away, I come out - when he is not around - and feed them!)

A few of my favorite things:

The sun, the sea, the creatures in the sea, animals, flowers, and ... coffee!

"I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by 
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They're really saying I love you.

I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll never know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world."

Louis Armstrong has kept me company many sleepless nights.

Indeed ... What a Wonderful World!



No comments:

Post a Comment