Friday, September 19, 2014

Relatives - Part II

Eleni Gage is the daughter of writer Nicholas Gage. His book Eleni is the story of his mother who was murdered during the Greek Civil War. Eleni was adapted for film in 1985 - John Malkovitch played the role of Nick Gage.
Eleni Gage returned to the small village of Lia in Northern Greece with the intention of rebuilding her murdered Grandmother's house. This is the house in which she was kept prisoner and the house from which she made her final journey. Eleni's father and his sisters have all since settled in America and the house is now inhabitable. Eleni was determined that she would restore it to its former glory - much to the dismay of her aunts who were convinced that something evil would happen to her if she dared to disturb the house with such sad memories.

North Of Ithaka is Eleni's story, and it is well written. It's part memoir and part history and makes compelling and fascinating reading. Eleni was welcomed into the bosom of village life, probably because her family was well-known in the area, but the warmth and kindness of her neighbors is overwhelming - as is the frustration and irritation that Eleni felt as she encountered some of the difficulties in getting anyone in Greece to work quickly and on time. I lived in Greece and getting anything done requires patience.

I found the lives of the villagers, their customs and their beliefs facinating because I could relate to them.

I read Nicholas Gage's Eleni many years ago and saw the movie. I bought Eleni at the Chandres Hotel in Nea Smirni, Greece. I started reading it immediately and couldn't stop.

After I came back home (I had taken a year off between jobs) I told my sister, "you have to read this book."

My mom one day mentioned to me that Nicholas Gage was coming to St. Demetrios. She asked if I would go ... I couldn't make it so I gave my mom my book and asked her if she would ask Nicholas Gage to sign my copy. He did ...

He also signed Cleo's copy - her mom had brought Cleo's book and had it signed.

Thank you cousin Leta for the wonderful book, North of Ithaka!

I met my cousin Leta last Friday, the 12th, at the Starbuck's on Lancaster Avenue near work for some 'coffee talk' ... It was great seeing Leta. She lost her father to cancer and her mother died giving birth to her twin brothers.

You're right Leta ... our family is strong - we are all warriors!





No comments:

Post a Comment