Monday, September 29, 2014

Drains Removed / Oncotype DX test

Had my post-op appointment with Dr. Frazier. He told me they are waiting for the results of the Oncotype DX test. Basically, the tumor is profiled. Once the tumor's profile is received, the best treatment option (targeted therapy) can be picked.

Dr. Frazier told me as soon as he receives the results of the Oncotype DX test, then we'll know which treatment plan we'll use:

Chemotherapy ... or

an estrogen pill (i.e., Herceptin)

I looked up Herceptin ...

The most common side effects associated with Herceptin in patients with breast cancer are fever, nausea, vomiting, infusion reactions, diarrhea, infections, increased cough, headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, rash, low white and red blood cells, and muscle pain. Can also cause heart problems.

Good thing I stopped smoking!

Kathy, Dr. Frazier's nurse, removed my tubes. The one tube wasn't too bad ... the other ... OUCH! It was so deep when she pulled the tube I felt it sliding out of my chest (tremendous amount of pressure). She removed the steri-strips. Covered my scar loosely with a pad that she rubbed hydrocortisone cream on. The area is very raw. If I develop blisters, I am to apply hydrocortisone cream.

I can apply Lubriderm or any other fragrance free lotion on scar - it will start to 'pull' ...

The two holes were covered with gauge & tape. There may be some residual leaking. Need to check and change dressings as needed.

I need to get some rest.

I see Dr. Frazier on October 13th at 4:30 pm. Hopefully, he will have the tumor's profile and we'll know what direction we will take.

No comments:

Post a Comment