Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Martha & George

Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf is on TCM. I wish it were Oscar time all year long. They
play the best movies this time of year.

Martha: Fix me a drink.
George: Haven't you had enough?
Martha: I said fix me a drink!
George: Well, I don't suppose a nightcap would kill either of us.
Martha: A nightcap? Are you kidding? We've got guests.
George: Got what?
Martha: Guests. Guests! Yeah, guests. People. We've got guests coming over.
George: When?
Martha: Now.
George: Good Lord, Martha, do you know what time it is? Who's coming over?
Martha: What's-their-name.
George: Who? Who's what's-their-name?
Martha: I don't know their name, George. We met tonight. They're new. He's
in the math department or something.
George: I don't remember meeting anybody tonight.
Martha: Well, you did.
George: Of all the asinine ... Who are these people?
Martha: He's in the Math Department.
George: Who?
Martha: He's in the Math Department. He's young and he's blond ...
George: He's good-looking, well-built?
Martha: Yes, good-looking, well-built.
George: It figures.
Martha: What?
George: Nothing.
Martha: His wife's a mousy little type without any hips or anything. Remember them now?


͠͠͠ ͠ ͠ ͠ ͠͠͠͠ ͠ ͠ ͠ ͠
Martha: Stop the car, we're going dancing.
George: Martha ...
Martha: I said stop the car, we're going dancing!
George: Alright Martha, whatever love wants ...

͠͠͠ ͠ ͠ ͠ ͠͠͠͠ ͠ ͠ ͠ ͠
George: "Now that we're done playing humiliate the host and we're not quite ready for hump the hostess, how about a little game of get the guests ..."

I can actually recite this entire play by heart. Edward Albee and Tennessee Williams are my favorite American playwrights.

No comments:

Post a Comment