Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Photographs & Memories

A very old picture of my father and maternal grandmother, Maria. This is one of my favorite pictures of my grandmother - she is looking down at us.

On September 23rd, as I was being prepped for surgery, I was looking up at her as my eyes grew weary.

I have carried the memory of my grandmother with me always. I think of her often. She is my inspiration.


She was always proud of all of her grandchildren. I am truly blessed to have been able to get to know her, my grandfather Gerasimo, and my paternal grandparents (Nikola and Ourania) up close. My dear father has no regrets about moving to Greece and coming back to the US. I have always been very grateful that we lived there during the time that we did. I have many fond memories of that time period that bring a smile to my face.

My paternal grandmother, Ourania, with my father ... She outlived a few of her sons. Every time I went to Razata in Kefalonia to visit her and my grandfather Nikola, I would find her on all fours (literally!) picking up olives from the fields in the back of the house. 



And this gem! My father holding (or at least trying to hold) me! 



I love my father big time. He is the steady hand in our family, the rock so-to-speak, when the shit hits the fan.


Every time I see myself in this obligatory 'let's stand in front of the Christmas tree'  picture ... I bust a gut! I even remember the camera and my Uncle Steve taking this shot. 

The old camera had a cone where bulbs would be screwed in (the flash) - we would see stars in front of our eyes after every shot. As you can see, I'm still seeing stars in this picture.

I can't stop laughing!

My Uncle Steve and my mom in front of the Chinese Theater. I really miss my uncle ever since he moved out to California. On this particular day, we took the 'typical' bus tour of Hollywood. 


I love this picture of my mom and sister. We stayed in Santa Monica during our visit. 

Get your kicks on Route 66!


Pasadena ...


Can't wait to go back and see my Uncle Steve again. We laughed so hard with him our stomachs hurt. And to think his nephew Vaki who lives in Seattle doesn't call him. His loser sister Georgia doesn't call him from Greece. And I was shocked to find out that his niece Aleka doesn't call him from Greece - last I heard she was living on the island of Crete. My Uncle Steve helped his sister when she came to the US and her kids - he practically financed their education ... and these fucktarded users don't even keep in touch with him. (See prior post for more on fucktards and fucktardedness).

I must tone down my sarcasm a bit, I must tone down my sarcasm a bit, I must ... fuck 'em! 

Happy New Year Stelio! 

No comments:

Post a Comment