Tuesday, December 30, 2014

CancerNext

Yesterday, at 11:00, I saw my gynecologist, Dr. Hyett, for my annual visit. Had my PAP test. After my exam, we talked in his office for about 15 minutes.

Both my gynecologist and oncologist were in agreement that I have the Oragene-Dx DNA test done due to cancer on both sides of my family.

Dr. Hyett gave me the kit, filled out the necessary paperwork, and told me he would call me as soon as he receives the report from Ambry Genetics located in California.

This morning I spit into two vials until the amount reached the fill line, closed the lids (the liquid in the lids fell into the tubes and mixed with my saliva). I removed the funnels, put the caps on, shook both vials, packed the vials in the kit and then sealed same in the FedEx bag provided with the kit.

It's amazing how parched I felt this morning. I had the hardest time forming saliva in my mouth.

I drove to Wynnewood and dropped off my FedEx package.

Once my samples arrive at Ambry, 28 genes known to be involved with hereditary cancer will be analyzed. Everyone has these genes - they each have a specific role in our body. The genetic test looks for any changes ('mutations').

Dr. Hyett explained the possible results (positive, negative or inconclusive). Should any of the 28 genes test positive, there is an increased risk for cancer specific to the gene mutation. Cancer screening and prevention recommendations will be provided to my doctors based on the results.

Because my sister and I are identical twins, we share the same genes. Any 'positive' results on my test will also affect my sister and her kids. Basically, if there are any red flags, at least my sister, Denise and Manoli will be aware of same.

Dr. Hyett asked how my mom and sister are doing. With the exception of returning home to find my mom crying in the family room, I told him they are fine. We've been through a lot so it's to be expected.


No comments:

Post a Comment