Wednesday, December 24, 2014

CA 27.29 tumor marker / blood test

I saw Dr. Gupta Monday morning. I'm doing good with my range of motion and my scar has healed well. I mentioned the aches in my joints.

I had a Dexa Scan on the same day at 11:00. While I waited to have my scan, Dr. Gupta gave me a script for a CBC / blood test to include a tumor marker screening - CA 27.29. I went to the Rheumo Dept. and had that blood test done.

A tumor marker is a substance that is produced by the body in response to cancer, or is produced by the cancer itself. Some of these markers are specific to one cancer, while others are seen in several types of cancer. These markers are generally used to evaluate the patient's response to treatment or to monitor for recurrence (return of the cancer after treatment). There are non-cancerous conditions that can cause markers to be elevated, so these must also be considered when interpreting the test results. Tumor markers can be used in conjunction with other tests (scans, biopsies, etc.) to help diagnose a patient who has symptoms suspicious for cancer. Some markers can help physicians to determine prognosis and treatment.

The CA 27.29 is a tumor marker that is most often used in people with breast cancer. In general, the number is not elevated in people with early stage cancers. If someone had an isolated recurrence that resulted in an elevated level and the tumor was surgically removed, the CA 27.29 could go to zero, or within normal range, after surgery.

Elevated CA 27.29 levels can also result from benign breast problems. It can take 1-3 months after starting a new treatment for results to begin to decrease, so typically the wait is 2-3 months to recheck CA 27.29.

Dr. Gupta will monitor me closely three ways:

1) Physical examination every 4 months
2) Blood tests to check on my CA 27.29 number
3) Mammograms and MRIs

His nurse practitioner, Lori, will have Stacy contact me. Stacy holds a support group once a month at the Cancer Center in Newtown Square. Both Dr. Gupta and Lori feel that my attending a support group will help me with regard to my anxiety. It's perfectly normal to feel anxious after a cancer diagnosis, surgery, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment