Wednesday, November 26, 2014

My Gratitude List this Thanksgiving

"If the only prayer you said was thank you, that would be enough." ~ Meister Eckhart

As one of the most difficult years in my life is coming to a close, I have a lot to be grateful for this Thanksgiving. Sometimes it's hard to see the good that exists amidst our troubles. However, by being more grateful for what I have, I feel happy. I must give thanks to those of you who supported me during my breast cancer diagnosis, surgery and post-op period. Thanks much from the bottom of my heart - I couldn't have gotten through this traumatic experience without your help. My breast cancer was a blessing in the sense that it has made me stronger, more resilient, and happier.

Everyday when I wake up I recite a gratitude list to myself. Today's list:

1) My family, 2) my friends, 3) a warm bed, 4) a roof over my head, 5) Gypsy, 6) a good job, 7) Dr. Frazier & my Nurse Navigator, Sarah, 8) Dr. Gupta, 9) NED (No Evidence of Disease), and last but not least ... 10) not having to wear the hospital gowns that open in the back and leave much to be desired (you know the ones - your back and ass are visible to everyone!)

I have learned to change ordinary opportunities into blessings. I have also learned to enjoy the small things in life that sometimes I had taken for granted. I have a new lease on life - a second chance - and it feels wonderful.

Life is good!

Thank you for each day. I am filled with feelings of hope, peace and happiness. Each day is a gift and for that I am grateful.

I will end this post with a beautiful poem by Charles Reznikoff called "Te Deum":

Not because of victories
I sing,
having none,
but for the common sunshine,
the breeze,
the largess of the spring.

Not for victory
but for the day’s work done
as well as I was able;
not for a seat upon the dais
but at the common table.


No comments:

Post a Comment