Sunday, November 2, 2014

Arimidex - 2 weeks until I see Dr. Gupta

I have been looking at posts related to Arimidex (see below comments).

I am hoping after taking Arimidex for 2-3 weeks, any possible side effects will become less intense. It takes about 3 weeks for your body to get used to maintenance medication.

Some women were switched to Aromasin as a result of Arimidex's side effects.

I have already increased my calcium and D3 to protect my bone density. I'm on an anti-depressant. I already have fine / thin hair. I have always had insomnia. I use lotion after I shower every day. With regard to weight gain or loss, I'll have to wait and see. I have a prescription for nausea - Ondansetron ODT (4 mg) - that I took after my surgery. I can't remember the last time I vomited.

If the Arimidex prevents a recurrence of my cancer, I'll have to learn to live with the side effects.

~~~~~~~~
.
SIDE EFFECTS:

Pain and swelling in hands, feet, hips, lower back; loss of bone density, osteopenia, trigger finger, frozen shoulder; insomnia; hot flashes and sweating; migraines; fatigue; dry skin; nail breakage, hair breakage, hair loss, eyebrow loss; anxiety, panic attacks; depression; high blood pressure; shortness of breath; weight gain; vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and weight loss.

Nynyer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Have been on this medicine since February following a lumpectomy. After reading the other posts I now realize the stiffness and soreness in my hands might be a side effect. Happens every morning. Also have severe flushing and sweating which is new with me. The worst is the swelling in my feet and legs..severe at times. I am now aware all of the above started after February. I will discuss it with my oncologist. Very thankful for this forum.

SusanMorris64 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): Recurrence of HER2 cancer. Hip and hand problems. Horrible insomnia and memory problems. But does help hold the cancer back.

Kim in Madison:

I am new at taking anastrozle (30 days). For the past week or so I found it impossible to get up and around for work because I was so sleepy. I think it has increased my lower back pain and it has been hard getting up from bed due to pain and stiffness. My oncologist advised me to quit today until we can discuss alternatives. I am 59 and had a partial mastectomy and radiation.

Sugarbee333333 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): Taking this after care of breast cancer! Hasn't caused any problems at all and almost done taking it! Evidently it's great in the help of my breast cancer.

gratefulgal:

I have been taking anastrazole 1 mg daily since 2/2011 for the treatment of breast cancer. I have not received chemotherapy or radiation. This is truly a dreadful disease that imposes a life sentence on you. I too can attest to some very uncomfortable side effects but, I also accept that there is really no medicine which is side effect free. I feel stiff most of the time, my muscles ache and I am weary. For the most part I walk very slow and has problems ascending the stairs. My migraines had subsided as I age but they have started to hit me up again. Nevertheless, I am truly grateful to this medicine and intend to take it for the duration. I am glad it has assisted in the arrest of the disease. I am 60 years old.

WV lady:

Arimidex (anastrozole): I've been on Arimidex for 10 weeks. Although I had arthritis prior to taking Arimidex, my joint discomfort has increased substantially and now I find that my joints (especially my hands and hips) are swollen and always painful. My fingernails have thinned and continually split and tear off, often below the quick (ouch!). I'm also disheartened to notice that my eyebrows and eyelashes, which had just grown back after my last chemo session, have started to either break or fall out again. Bone and muscle pain are always with me now.

Frenchgirl52 (taken for 5 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): I took Arimidex for 5 years and only recently stopped. I had quite a few side effects, however, the joint pain and stiffness was the hardest. I heard about something called Ubiquinol, which is apparently something that is naturally produced in your body, but slows down quite a bit as you age. I've been taking it daily now for a few months and I have to say, the stiffness and joint pain has mostly subsided. I say mostly because I forget to take it some days. I'm trying to get better about taking it daily with a multivitamin. It's kind of expensive but it's way cheaper and better than any of the medicine alternatives I was offered by my doctors. I don't like taking medicine for every little thing. Plus there's a hundred side effects to worry about.

Lealmck (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): I took it for 5 yrs. and 2 months. I cannot say if the changes were from chemo or from Arimidex. Changes in taste and smell persist. Frontal headache, blurred vision, cough, calcium loss - osteopenia. Stiff joints, long bone pain, sciatica pain of right leg, fatigue, wicked insomnia, hot flushes & flashes. Neuropathy in hands and feet, specially balls of feet and very sensitive tips of toes. Very dry skin, aged face, hair is very thin and breaking easily. Never got back full eyebrows, very SAD! I loved my eyebrows.

Tinkerwoman (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prescribed after Lumpectomy for breast cancer and taking this medication for 1 year, I've experienced extreme panic attacks, anxiety that often prevents me from wanting to leave the house, and insomnia. My symptoms were so severe, I could not function at work and took early retirement. I have discussed these side effects with my oncologist; his concern was more with flushing side effects than anxiety. I have 4 more years of taking this medication and honestly don't know if I'll be able to keep it up. I find myself having extremely blue feelings and without taking anti anxiety meds I truly would not be able to function as all.

Jacklink (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): I've been on Arimidex for 4 years. Side effects are insomnia, joint pain, painful sex or no interest in sex, forgetfulness, anxiety and depression. One year to go and hopefully I will not have to take it. Maybe still on it because of a family history of breast cancer.

emajean:

I have been taking Anastrozole for 1 and half years now for breast cancer. I have been having problems with my hands, stiffness of legs, short of breath, insomnia, thinning hair, weight gain and really bad hot flashes. I am going to ask my doctor about my chances of returning breast cancer if I stop taking this or try something else.

sissy:

Arimidex (anastrozole): Took tamoxifen 9 months. Extreme bruising. Switched to Arimidex. After 4 weeks, extreme pain in hand. Next severe headaches. Each month brought increased pain in thumbs, hand, feet, long leg bones. Joints hurt, wrists weaken every month. After 10 months became depressed and had insomnia. Finally, had enough and stopped. Within, 2 weeks long bone pain went away. I still have some knee pain, trigger finger, and wrist weakness and its been 3 months. Doctor switching to Aromasin next month.

macats (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Anastrozole since August/2012 and things had been going pretty well. It is now the end of February and I now have high blood pressure, shortness of breath, hand pain especially at night and in the morning when I can barely hold a comb to my hair. Also, I feel "pins and needles" in both hands. I am confused as to why the side effects are occuring now. At least I feel better knowing that others are going through the same thing.

pttyglnd:

Arimidex (anastrozole): I took Arimidex for 5 years and I've been cancer free for over 6 years now.

McD333:

Arimidex (anastrozole): Started taking Arimidex in June and have lost 45 lbs. Vomiting and diarrhea have left me homebound. I keep starting and stopping this pill. Oncologist thinks I'm crazy, but when I stop the pill the vomiting and diarrhea stop. Just stopped taking it before Christmas and I'm feeling so much better. Have had two lumpectomies and a mastectomy. Don't want the cancer to return, but the side effects are too much for me.

Anonymous:

Arimidex (anastrozole): I've been on Arimidex 4 years and 1 month, prior to which I took Tamoxifen for 5 months. During the first year I developed a frozen shoulder, which my oncologist said could be due to the Armidex, extreme joint stiffness which gradually subsidized and ended after 9-12 months, intense hot flashes which as of this year are lessening, insomnia, vision issues (detached retina - but am also very myopic), pronounced facial aging, dry skin (am 57 years old) and thinning hair. I also experienced depression and mood swings beginning 3 months after the start of Arimidex. I never took medication for it but am finding that it has also gradually lessened over the last 1 1/2 yrs.

Anonymous:

Arimidex (anastrozole): 7 months in severe hand pain wakes me up at night. Hands weakening grip ibuprofen doesn't help using phone and computer mouse horrible. Just switched to Aromasin.

Trick (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Arimidex (anastrozole): I have been on Arimidex for 4 years 4 months. I have had the hot flashes, vision issues, bone density weakening, joint pain and stiffness, depression, mood changes, insomnia, back and bone pain, thinning nails (of already thin nails), weakness in hands and now, my hair in breaking off and drying out. My doctor wants me to hold on to the end of the 5 years. Not sure I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment