Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Truth or Consequences

"In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Present: ... someone that others have the 'misfortune' of working with is disliked by many people at work.

I often ask myself, what motivates people? What motivates the 'disliked' co-worker? Is it money? I believe so. We all want to make money, but at what cost? Is it worth it? We could all do with a bit more money, but again - is it worth it?

"It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven't lost the things that money can't buy." –George Lorimer

What are some of the things that money can't buy? Your dignity, reputation, pride, etc.

In the past 25 years, I have noticed that the workers who are disliked the most are 'brown-nosers' ... They are the individuals who try to collect as many 'brownie points' as possible in an effort to further their career, make more money, etc.

After I am finished asking myself, what motivates people, the second question that I often ask myself is, does this person realize that every choice he/she makes has a consequence? If we make good choices, the results are almost always positive. If we make bad choices, the results are always negative. I believe every day is a learning experience. If we make bad decisions, it's okay - as long as we learn something from same ...

I have made some pretty bad decisions that had terrible consequences. But I learned valuable lessons. Nobody is perfect. We are entitled to make mistakes in life. However, if we keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again, then there is something wrong. After a while it gets old ...

Only time will tell ...

No comments:

Post a Comment