Sunday, April 22, 2012

Do-gooders doing good ...

I was asked recently (during holy week), "Irene, don't you fast?" My reply, "No, I do not fast for 40 days. Does fasting make you a 'better' person? Does my decision not to fast make me a bad person?"

I did not receive a reply to my reply ...

“After all these years, I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning; it is better to live outside the Garden with her than inside it without her.” ― Mark Twain, The Diaries of Adam & Eve

I get a kick of these do-gooders. You know - the 'pious' types ... Sanctimonious Jesus fans. Holier than thou assholes whose main concern in life is virtue or religious devotion. When I die, and - hopefully - get an opportunity to meet Jesus - I will ask him what his opinion of do-gooders is ...

Do-gooders doing good. Why do hypocrites feel the need to announce their deeds? There are many people who do good without having to tell everyone (only those who donate to charities anonymously can relate to what I am talking about).

These religious fans are the fans that Jesus seems to have the most trouble with. Fans who will walk into a restaurant and bow their heads to pray before a meal just in case someone is watching. Fans who won't go to R-rated movies at the theater, but have a number of them saved on their DVR at home. Fans who may feed the hungry and help the needy, and they make sure they work it into every conversation for the next two weeks. Fans who make sure people see them put in their offering at church, but they haven't considered reaching out to their neighbor who lost a job and can't pay the bills. Fans who like seeing other people fail because in their minds it makes them look better. Fans whose primary concern is what other people think. Fans who are reading this and assuming I'm describing someone else. Fans who have worn the mask for so long they have fooled even themselves ...

No comments:

Post a Comment