Monday, March 16, 2015

Blues - I

I don't know why but when I'm feeling blue, I listen to depressing music. This morning on my way to work I listened to a very old song by The Cure (Untitled).

Hopelessly adrift in the eyes of the ghost again
Down on my knees with my hands in the air again ...



At work I usually listen to the Fred Astaire channel, which is somewhat upbeat. Today I am listening to Big Joe Williams.

When I'm really down in the dumps, it's Lightnin Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, Old John Smokey, Big Joe Williams, John Rogers, Blind Willie McTell, Mississippi John Hurt, Bessie Smith, Floyd Jones, Washboard Sam, Clara Smith, etc. (Delta blues). The kind of music that makes you want to run to the nearest window and jump out.

Of course, the queen of blues is Billie Holiday. Billie Holiday is to the blues what Patsy Cline is to country. We can't forget Bessie Smith paved the way for Billie.

I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter
and make believe it came from you
I'm gonna write songs oh so sweet
they're gonna knock me off my feet

No comments:

Post a Comment