Saturday, June 6, 2015

Relaxing

I spent some time gardening after I mowed the lawn today. I'm looking forward to spending more time outside this summer. 

Monday I started a new position at work. I moved to the Business Dept. and am now an administrative assistant and an assistant to Kathy (Accounts Payable). 

I got through my first week.

Gardening relaxes me, connecting with nature, with the outdoors. Well over 100 studies have shown the benefits of being outside in nature. Mood improves, productivity increases, and stress is reduced. This is a healing way to de-stress and lower cortisol - that stress hormone that can ruin your health when its levels are high for too long.

I am sitting out back enjoying the fruits of my labor. The double-blooming roses are beautiful. My cacti are doing great - three have bloomed.

Our yard is a place of beautiful colors, the red earth feeding the plants, the blue cloud-filled sky today was nice. It wasn't too hot. Now I am watching the minute by minute changes in the sky as the day ends. It's getting darker and darker. The quiet is relaxing. Even the birds have hunkered down for the night.

My mind and body are able to fully relax. Finally.

A trip to the beach, a walk through a park, or a hike into the hills can feel like a mini vacation.

I gave myself the gift of nature and relaxation. I will do the same tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment