Wednesday, February 4, 2015

5 months ...

My life has been about cancer the last five months - trying to learn about my disease, trying to figure out what I can do to prevent a recurrence.

I look at myself differently now.

Today, to mark World Cancer Day, I drank a couple of bottles of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. John brought a case back from Kentucky. The ale is aged in barrels that were once used to age bourbon. Very strong but smooth nonetheless.

My life post treatment hasn't been easy but with the ups and downs I have gained a new perspective on my cancer experience. What I used to see as a race to get back to my old life and the way things were pre cancer, is now a journey to finding a new normal and adjusting to it.

I feel like I will never be free of cancer but I'm finding happiness in what I have today and being grateful for that.

World Cancer Day aims to raise awareness for the fight against cancer by highlighting solutions that currently exist in the areas of prevention, early detection, treatment, and care.  
To the millions of people who have been diagnosed with cancer and who are fighting, the the survivors, and their families - you are not alone.

To my friend Janet who had her mastectomy on September 23rd - the same day I had mine - and who is still undergoing radiation treatments, keep fighting!

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment